Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Lord's Hand in Everyday Life

When I was first called to be the Young Women's secretary in Fourth Ward (about a year ago) Sister Flinders gave me a notebook and told me that if I wanted to I could use it to complete the challenge that was given to the Young Women that year. They had been asked to write in it everyday and they could choose one of two topics. They could either use to it write about little acts of service they had given that day or they could use it to write how they had seen the Lord's hand bless their lives that day. Since it was almost the end of the year and I was so busy with school and work, I didn't really write anything down but I did make a more conscious effort to see the Lord's hand in my everyday life. Well, a few weeks ago I noticed something that even though was it was small, it has greatly strengthened my testimony.

Because Chris and I don't have the greatest jobs (as in they don't pay very well) and we're both still in school, at times money gets really tight. Although we always have what we need (and don't ask me how, as there have been numerous times when our bank account should be in negative numbers and yet somehow, we always have money left) sometimes we have to go without certain things that we may need (or want) until the following month. Anyway, I'd been having this dilemma for a while now in regards to new mascara. Now, I know that the rule of thumb is that you should throw it out every 3 months, but I never follow that rule because I hate wasting money and my theory is that in throwing it out after 3 months, I probably will not have used it all and therefore will throwing out, what to me, is pretty good mascara. So I had a tube left and although it still worked, was running out and although we had a little money left, I knew that I had better things to use it on. After all I did have another tube left (of a mascara that I liked but didn't want for everyday use (it made my eyelashes really thick)).

 So one Tuesday after work, I was at the mall with my mom thinking that I would finally go to Walmart that day and pick up some new mascara. We walked to the other end (which we don't do often) and I was kind of hoping some lady would ask me if I wanted to take a survey and get 5 dollars (as I'd been asked a couple of times before). After some more walking this lady comes up to me and asks "do you wear mascara?" I answered that I did and she proceeded to say "Would you like to take part in a survey where we give you some mascara you wear it for two weeks, come back and answer a couple of questions at which time we give you another mascara you wear that for two weeks and come back again and we'll pay you 20 dollars?" As she's saying this I'm thinking heck yes, I didn't even expect 20 dollars, I would've done it for 5! So I follow her to the survey place and get my mascara and then am happily on my way. And of course, I did not need to go to Walmart that day.

Now, why would this strengthen my testimony? Well, there I was needing a little extra cash to buy some mascara and what does the Lord send my way? 20 dollars plus a month's worth of mascara for FREE. I know that it's just a small thing but sometimes it's in those small everyday things that you can really see the Lord's hand and sometimes it's for those small things that we need to be the most grateful for. 

Update: Two weeks ago I went back to the survey place to get my new mascara. I had to return the first one which I was glad for because I didn't really like it. And t was a good thing I didn't like it because I was able to skip two whole pages of questions since I told them that I probably wouldn't buy it in the store. On Tuesday I get to go back and answer the last questions and will get my 20 dollars and as an added perk, the lady told me I get to keep the second mascara! Which is good because I actually like this one.  So on Tuesday I will be 20 dollars richer and I won't need to buy mascara for another 2 months, or well knowing me till a few months after that!

No comments:

Post a Comment